Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The beginning of our summer

In my mind, summer starts once school is out, and school here got out the end of May.

Lydia had her last day of school, and then started reading like a maniac.  We went to the library after dropping off our carpool, and checked out some books.  She really got in the Rainbow Magic series at the end of the school year, and by Friday afternoon (school got out on a Thursday), she had already read 2 of the 3 books she had checked out (totalling about 180 pages).

Last day of school
 Claire and Spencer playing with the legos and building

 Lydia found a lot of funky reading positions, and one was on top of the couch.
 One of my friends from high school, Michelle, lived in Glendale while her husband was going to Medical School.  We would periodically get together, but they always drove out to where we were.  Now that they were moving, we drove out to Glendale to see them!  It was so fun to see them, and I am sad that they won't be living close by naymore, but Congrats to Pete on graduating and good luck with the residency and new baby.

The group picture we took on our camera turned out blurry, so this is everyone, minus Jeff.
 The girls played with the glow sticks that Michelle and Peter had, and were very amused.
 Michelle and Michelle
 One day when we were cleaning up, Spencer decided he would help Jeff out with the vacuuming.  It was so cute!  I remember when Lydia was close to this age she did it too, only with the firetruck instead of a vacuum.
 So cute!!  And I really wish that vacuum worked.  My house would get so much cleaner with all the work he does with it!
 We went to my parent's house for a little BBQ on Memorial day, and Jeff was having fun playing with our new camera since we had only had it for a little over a week (2 weeks earlier, Spencer gave our camera a bath and it was economically beyond repair).

My cute little man!  He did NOT want that bib taken off.  Oh well, he is cute anyhow
 My 3 kiddos.  Claire was such a ham that afternoon.  Cheesy as ever! 
 Lydia is showing off Grandma's grapes.
 Claire is showing off Grandma's flower pot that she was playing with.

One day I couldn't find Claire.  I asked Lydia to go and get her for me, and she couldn't find her either.  I knew she was in the house somewhere, because I was by the only entrance/exit.  I finally found her asleep in my closet.  And yes, there are many more comfortable spots in my house.

We went swimming with our friends the Kellis', and Jeff got this awesome show of a beautiful Arizona sunset.
 Claire posing.
 Lydia was swimming and finally building up some confidence.  Maybe the fact that the pool was only 1 1/2 feet deep helped too.
 He had so much fun!  I had him in swimming lessons for one session this year, and I didn't get any pictures of him in it because it was  Mommy and Me class, so I am glad we got this picture of him.

Jeff decided that he wanted to grow a beard for our Stake's pioneer trek.  I wasn't so fond of it, but it was fun for the trek!  We had to document it though. :)
 This picture cracks me up!  His beard really wasn't that long, but Spencer got a good grip on it!
 My little bookworm.  She loved the summer reading program at the library this year!
 My Claire bear. 
 Swimming lessons.  The girls were in the same class for the first 2 sessions.  Lydia gained SO much confidence and just blossomed.  It was awesome to watch her change from being so scared to diving down to get dive rings and swimming a number of feet all by herself.  Claire at least let us get her wet, and dunk her, but she has some confidence to gain, and it will come eventually. :)
Lydia
 Claire
 Lydia scooping the water like ice cream
 Claire trying desperately to not get her face wet!
Coming up next, Jeff and Michelle go on Trek!

3 comments:

Beth said...

I wish Spencer would come vacuum my house! I liked seeing that Claire had on three dress up skirts during her nap, too, ha ha! It's crazy how we get so excited to see our kids grow and progress, then worry that it's moving too fast. It's good that you're documenting it so you can remember all those fun times.

Celeste said...

What a fun post! I am a little jealous that you got to spend time with Michelle! How fun. That picture of Claire on the floor of your closet is hilarious. She's a crack up. Miss ya!

Natalie said...

I love how Claire has three skirts on while napping in your closet haha!! I think she's a girl after my own heart because I hated getting my face wet in swimming lessons too! Love those sweet kids!