Saturday, September 8, 2007

Life without formal school

Well, this is the first year in (let's see, 13 years of public school attendance, 4 years of college attendance, and 2 years of public school teaching,) 19 years that I have not officially been involved with some sort of school. It feels weird, and is an adjustment, but I would not trade what I am doing for the world. Being home with my sweet girl is great.

We are still figuring out what to do here in Arizona, and getting our house made into our home, but we have fun. Right now Lydia is sitting on the floor next to me playing with a bag of rubber bands that she found. I should probably take them away, but she has been making them her bracelets (she is such a GIRL) and is now attempthing to put them away. It is quite funny!! Being with her is so rewarding.

The other day Lydia and I were at Target and this guy was so caught up with Lydia that he asked me how old she was. He asked if I was able to stay home with her and I said yes. He seemed surprised and asked what my husband did that allowed me to stay home. I had to laugh when I told him that Jeff was a student. The funny thing is, the guy proceeded to tell me that his company had openings for part-time work (I had previously mentioned that I used to work and it was part-time), and that if I was interested I could have a job where they paid for training and what not. It was kind of funny, but I told him that I was happy at home. And I am. I do miss being involved in school. I miss my colleagues. I miss going to Reading Recovery meetings and feeling like I had learned so much. I miss watching my "kids" as they learn and progress and begin reading and writing and actually can do it by themselves. However, I know that being at home I am involved with school (I get to hear about what Jeff is doing and the neat things that are happening at ASU), I am getting new colleagues (who they are I don't know, but I'll make new friends), I am going to learn what not to do with my daughter (such as, she has more fun playing with random stuff around the house than the toys that you spend all that money on), I am going to get to watch my little girl learn and grow and talk and make progress in her development and be just as excited (or more!) as when I watched my "kids" succeed. Besdies, in a couple years, Lydia will be in school and I'll be involved in school in an entirely different way: as a parent. I am looking forward to that. But right now, I am enjoying my time with my beautiful little girl, here at home, and looking forward to the future.

Here is Lydia with her two pony tails. She didn't leave them in very long, but she sure looks cute!!

Lydia has started moving her hands like "Where did it go?" Sometimes I wonder if that is what she means, or if she is saying, "All Gone!"

4 comments:

Marie said...

We got your e-mail and we're jealous that you get to be in Mesa around so much family! Good luck in school to Jeff, we're sure he'll do great. Little Lydia is growing fast! What a cutie. Hopefully we'll get to see you all soon!

Anonymous said...

wow Michelle! You're baby is getting so big! -And SO cute!

Ryan and Ann Cook said...

Lydia looks so much older in these pictures! Time sure flies by fast!

Anonymous said...

My biggest adjustment when I stopped working full time and was home 24/7 with a newborn, was the isolation I felt. Yes, pure joy at watching that precious little boy grow and develop, but I missed adult conversation and interaction. I don't think Dick truly understood how isolated I was, and craved his attention and "talk" when he got home. It doesn't take long though, and you're able to carve out a new life for yourself and make it what you want!