A while ago I learned I have ancestors buried in Arizona. My great-great-grandparents, John David and Victoria Hubbard Boyd are buried in Pima, a farming community about 2.5 hours east of us. Michelle and I wanted to go earlier this year, but it didn't work out. When my parents came for Claire's blessing, I thought they might like to go out and see the gravesite. They've never been there and might not have another opportunity. John David must have had an interesting life. He was born on the
Isle of Man, and came to the states (Utah) when he was a young teenager because his family joined the church. He, however, never joined. When he was 17 he left home and worked for the Hudson Bay Company in the Pacific Northwest. He eventually married and settled in Idaho, but when hard times came, they moved down to Arizona and stayed. One of his sons, John David, Jr., moved to Utah (and joined the church later in his life).
It was neat to see where some of my ancestors are buried and wonder what life might have been like for them back then. Pima isn't that big--there aren't even any traffic lights in town. It's very unlikely that the house they live in still stands, but I wonder if any buildings from their period still exist. Pima's elevation is about 3000 feet, Phoenix is about 1100 feet, so it was about 10 degrees cooler there. Just my parents, Lydia, and I made the drive. It was a little too far for a 4 week old. Thanks to the internet I was able to get direction directly to the cemetery and I was even able to find out exactly where in the cemetary they are buried (not that the cemetery was that big in the first place). So, without further ado, here are the pictures:




Below is a nice shot of Lydia with my dad and the gravesite. My dad is on the phone with his sister. In the background is Mt. Graham with, believe it or not, snow still on the summit.

After the cemetery we visited the local burger-and-shake place in Pima, the Taylor Freeze and got milkshakes for the drive home. When we go back, I'll have to get a burger there. It reminded me of
Good Food in Marblemount, WA that Jeremy and I had back in January. I love those small, local burger-and-shake restaurants. Lydia was so good for the long car ride. She and I slept on the way back. My dad didn't do so well though. He was already feeling a little sick and the drive just made it worse.
No comments:
Post a Comment