So there was my project. It was fun, but I am glad that it is over!
Thursday, November 19, 2009
My recent project...
Back in September we were given some darling child-size patio chairs by Jeff's professor, Hari. It was one of those time/place things. We went to a get together at Hari's apartment with all of the other graduate students. Now mind you, Jeff is the only student married, thus, he is also the only one with kids. Jeff's professor is also single, so when the girls and I went on the balcony I was a little confused as to why there were child-size chairs. My girls however were loving them, and I didn't mind the extra entertainment. When someone asked Hari why he had them, he said it was a long story and then proceeded to ask Jeff if we wanted them as he was trying to get rid of them. We said sure, and thus, a new project insued. The chairs needed a little bit of work to make them nicer, so, I went to work figuring out what to do to fix them up a little bit.

I noticed that there was a littl bit of rust on them. I learned of a product called Naval Jelly that is a rust converter. I bought some, hosed down the chairs, rubbed the jelly all over them, and then the chairs had no more rust!! It took more time than I thought it would, but this would help the chairs.

After it dried, I put a coat of primer on it.
Then I put a couple coats of color on. Putting the primer and the color on took a lot longer than I thought, and it stunk more than I thought it would. Oh well, I just did this at night so that it wasn't quite so hot. Then the girls were asleep, and they didn't smell it either.
Lastly, I put on a top coat. I don't think you can really tell a difference between just the paint and the top coat, but I did put on a top coat. That way it will hopefully stay nicer. I think they turned out really nice. I am glad that I could fix them up so hopefully they last a while longer (they aren't in the best shape, but they work for our needs).
Here Claire is modeling the chairs with the help of Lexie (my cousin's daughter). Claire squinted in this picture, so I was trying to get her to smile and not squint; however then Claire decided she didn't want to look at the camera. (What I really should have done was move the chairs so they weren't in the direct sunlight. Ooops.) Lexie really wanted to be in the picture and as I took a few more, Lexie's smile started to droop. (She REALLY wanted to be in the picture and do what I was asking!) It was kind of funny. Finally she said, "I think it would be better if we took a picture with Lydia." I laughed at that comment! Lydia didn't want to be in a picture, so we called it quits, and I'll just take my squinty-eye girl (just like her mother...).

So there was my project. It was fun, but I am glad that it is over!
So there was my project. It was fun, but I am glad that it is over!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Silly Lexa! I think they look great and the girls will love them!
Nice job! I love fixing junk up...that's what my whole house is....from trash to treasure!
Michelle- Thanks for your comments... Our visiting teaching confrence was a ton of fun. It was really well attended, and we had 6 amazing home made soups to choose from. Also, thanks for getting in touch with Heather!!! And of course your chairs are adorable.
cute. :) It's so nice to get a project done, good work!
Great work with the chairs! And your girls are so stinkin' cute.
I saw an adult-sized chair that looked just like these. It was at Artco. It was painted black with a green patina to make it look aged. I remembered your chairs, so checked the price tag... It was on sale, half price, and still cost $125! Hang on to your mini bargains!!
Post a Comment