Then, the other day I read a post on my friend Diana's blog in which she mentioned Family Home Evening, and wanting to get ideas from her readers for what things they do for lessons, especially young children. (Click on the link and you can see the post I am referencing and any comments that were made if you are interested) I have been looking to see what others have mentioned, and may possibly use some of them.
I had been thinking about writing this post, and now it is here, as I want to hear ideas that you have too. I love sharing ideas, I did this a lot when I was teaching, so please, share!! One thing that we have been doing lately is listening to a CD about Jesus. It is the Primary songs for Bedtime CD. One song on there is "Jesus Once Was a Little Child." I decided that I would pull down a book of ours that has pictures of Jesus in it, and we look at the pictures of Jesus. We talk about them as much as her attention span at the moment will allow, and it is nice to see her learning. Some days, Lydia asks for the "Jesus CD" when I ask her if she wants to listen to music. I am glad that Lydia is learning about Jesus, and recognizes the importance that He is in our lives.
I am excited to be able to read some of your ideas!! And I hope that you get something out of reading the comments people leave. Thanks for sharing.
On a sidenote, here is a picture of Claire. She is getting bigger and we love having her as apart of our family!
Updated May 17 with direct quote up above!! :)
7 comments:
So, something that I am trying to do is keep a record of what we learn. I type up a lesson plan and include ideas for lessons to build on the topic. And we do themes in our months, building up to a 'special' activity or lesson. Every week (theoretically) builds on the lesson of the last. For example, in December our first lesson was about symbolism of christamsy things, our next talked about how it was ok to have fun symbols, but that the symbols of Christ were more important, and then we learned about the Christmas story, and the last FHE was our little nativity play that we put on for friends. Of course, that was an exceptional month in which I was totally together and on top of things, most months are not that good.
So, not having had FHE growing up, I'm on a learning curve here that isn't exactly growing exponentially :) I really enjoy doing FHE's that get us outside of our house. We like to talk about nature, and the creation, and take a walk and point out all of the beautiful plants, animals and other things that Heavenly Father has given us. I also like to do service-based FHE's where we make a treat or provide some sort of service to a friend or someone who needs it, and we include the kids in the whole process and they really love it. I guess those are just my favorites. When all else fails and I'm by myself with the girls (unfortunately this happend a lot at my parents and FHE wasn't exactly easy to hold in my parents house), I will just make sure to spend some time with the girls, giving them 100% of my attention, and letting them know how much I love them, and how important our family is. We had a couple of movie nights in correlation with these pseudo-FHE's. Thank goodness we're back together with Peter and I won't be single-parenting and will have some energy for more fun FHE's again!!!
I really like using the FRIEND magazine. They have some fun cut-outs and stories. I'd just read the story beforehand and briefly tell it to Raquel while she held the picture/cutout/etc. Now we can do things a LITTLE more advance!
some things that have been very effective for our little guys have been: having them act out the scripture stories (they love it and they learn so much more when their bodies are involved), bearing our testimonies and asking the kids if they would like to do so also - they LOVE to try and they are so happy with themselves when they feel and recognize the spirit, always ALWAYS point out the feelings they are having when the spirit is present and then label it as such so they have a firm grasp on that idea, service is such an awesome way to teach kids about the Savior (good one, Marie), teach them truth and values using stories from your childhood - how special and SO FUN it is for them to learn about when you were a kid. Our lesson portion of family night is always less than 5 minutes and usually around 2. We always have a lesson but the focus is 1. feeling the spirit together and 2. having FUN together ( I think a big purpose of family night is to become the kind of family that your kids actually WANT to be with for eternity)
Well - I hope you made it through reading that long LONG suggestion. ;)
so, I see that you have changed your page layout. I liked it better the way it was before. This new design makes it hard to see straight. It is kinda trippy on the eyes when you scroll down.
That's funny- I was just thinking how much I love your new page design! I guess it shows that everyone has different tastes. The pale-colored back ground paired with dark printing makes your words stand out nicely, too. Keep those creative juices flowing! Love, Mom
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone!! We had FHE last Monday, and it was a nice start. I'll have to get a little more on top of things!
Mom, in regards to our layout change, the annonymous comment that was left was in regards to a different layout than the green and brown one up now. I think the reason that the person thought it was trippy is because there were two button like things on the side that stayed there one matter how you scrolled. It wasn't too bad, but I decided that it wasn't exactly what I wanted, and it was a little weird that they didn't scroll either, so I got something that didn't have something buttony on the side. I like it better, but who knows, I might change again later! :)
Post a Comment