Friday, March 19, 2010

Dr. Seuss' Birthday

Yes, I am late, but oh well. I wanted to show some of the fun things that we did for Dr. Seuss' birthday. (Not that we needed another birthday to celebrate in March, but oh well, it was fun!)

We had green eggs and ham for breakfast. Lydia ate the eggs, but didn't really want the ham. I ended up eating the ham. And you know, it tasted kinda funny. I don't think I want to do that again. :) Claire didn't want to touch them. It was fun to say we ate it for breakfast! (We even told a lady at the bookstore that is what we had, and she looked at us like, "What?! You did? How?")
Lydia doesn't look too thrilled, I think she was a bit apprehensive about the color.


Later we read The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss's wacky book of opposites. We traced our feet and then decorated the tracings. Then, we decided to make our own foot opposites. I don't think I explained what an opposite was very well, but we had fun doing it! It was kind of funny trying to make the girls cooperate to take the picture. We did "Feet above, and feet below."


This was the best one we got of our feet above and feet below. Maybe Claire having a roll stick out of her mouth isn't that great, but at least she is looking at the camera and both girls look happy!
Here are some of the other ones in my attempt to get a good picture.

We went to a number of stores searching for The Cat in the Hat, and finally I just broke down and bought it full price. So later we read it and wore my Cat in the Hat hat that I got when I was teaching Kindergarten.
(Lydia took this picture since I was having a hard time getting Claire to cooperate and take the picture. Turned out pretty well, huh?!


We also made cupcakes, and I was reminded why I decorate cakes/cupcakes while my kids are asleep or distracted. Not very easy, thus, they turned out kind of pathetic. It says, "We Love to Read!" and then there are 2 cat in the hat hats, and some fish, because Dr. Seuss wrote One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.

So, we had a fun day full of reading and enjoying our time together!

3 comments:

Shelly Beth said...

What a great idea - and something I would expect from a teacher! LOL. Acutally, I forgot it was his birthday until it was too late. Oh well, there is always next year. And we were going to do green eggs and ham for St. Patrick's day but Isabelle was sick and I didn't do it. The ham is still in the fridge. Maybe this weekend...

Jodi said...

You are so cute!!! Where do you get your energy to come up with and carry through with your great ideas. You should make a book - it'd sell!

Maria said...

Oh my goodness! What great, fun ideas! I will have to use some of those!! :)