I was able to get some sweet shots of the moon that night, too. Here's one example:Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Pics from the Elk "shoot/hunt"
Here are some pictures from the elk "shoot" I went on in September with some of the youth in my ward. I say "shoot" because there were no guns involved, only my camera with a big lens that I rented. We were hoping to see some bull elk with big antlers, but alas they remain aloof. We did see one female. She ran right toward us up a hill, then ran back the way she came once I started snapping a couple shots. If you look closely at this first picture, you can see the fear in her eyes.
This next picture is a panorama of two pictures. That's the moon on the left. There was a propane lantern on the hood of the truck.
I was able to get some sweet shots of the moon that night, too. Here's one example:
Since I we weren't seeing any elk, I took some pictures of the other forest wildlife.
I captured two birds in flight in this shot. One is about to land, the other just took off.
Does anyone know why kind of bug/bee this is? There were a few of them buzzing around. They look kind of like bees, but they have those nasty looking black spikes.
I was able to get some sweet shots of the moon that night, too. Here's one example:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Jeff, I was going to pull out some of my old Bio books from the Academy, but when I clicked on the picture to view it larger, I saw that your bee is actually a fly.
Flies too are drawn to flowers - especially ones that don't smell good ;) Perhaps it's a Tachinid fly? I found this picture of one, but it's black. I will post the link here:
http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pollinators/images/uglyfly_lg.jpg
The hair on the fly functions just as the hairs on bees do - it hold the pollen and promotes pollination as the fly goes from flower to flower.
Sorry I'm not sure on the exact name, but at least you know it's a fly! :)
Oh, oh, oh!! I think I found it!! It is a Tachinid fly, but it's name appears to be a "Whale-Tail Fly". Here's a pic of one:
http://www.cirrusimage.com/fly_whale-tail.htm
More than you wanted to know about a fly, huh? Anyway, great pics - not just of the fly!!! :)
Thanks Marie for the info about the fly. That last link is pretty cool because it tells a little about the fly. Very interesting some of these bugs that have been put on this earth!
Jeff, I really like your pano of the campfire. I felt like I was on the outside looking in, getting a glimpse of one of those rare instances when time stands still for a brief moment before racing forward again as we return to our normal lives.
Post a Comment