As we were trying to decide how to cook it, I happened across my friend's sister's blog with this recipe. The recipe has been raved about, so Jeff and I decided to try brining a turkey. We cheated a little bit and instead of using whole spices, used the ones we already had that were ground up. It took forever, but it was well worth it!! This was one moist bird! Jeff really liked it! (I liked it too!) It was fun to cook the turkey, this being my first time, and it was definitely a learning experience. For instance, don't let your husband convince you to cook it on Sunday, especially when you have afternoon church. Yeah, we didn't eat until late, and then I was all tuckered out. And, make sure you read the directions entirely through at least the day before you do it, so you aren't sitting there going, "oops, we should have made the brine last night." Overall, we enjoyed our meal, and enjoyed the traditional leftovers for a few days!
A very moist turkey!! Yum!
Getting ready to carve the turkey
The first cut!
The chef with dinner. Yeah, because it wasn't Thanksgiving, we decided to leave most of the stuff in the pots we made them in!
And here are our girls in their cute Christmas dresses!
8 comments:
You are awesome! Good job on the bird, one day I'll give it a try.
Good first turkey. The first time I cooked a turkey, I did not know it needed to defrost for days and I was cooking dinner for my grandparents. I called my mom, who was still in Germany, sobbing about the turkey. In the end, I discovered that not only could a turkey be defrosted in the microwave, but that my gigantic microwave was the perfect size for the job...
Wait, am I the friend with the sister who raved about brining? Was it as easy as described?
Yes, you are the friend Susan. I made a comment on Lisa's post about her turkey saying thanks for sharing. It really was easy. If we had of been using the whole spices, it might have been trickier since we didn't make the brine until the morning we were going to cook it, and when using the whole spice you need to cook it long enough that it dissolves. The only thing against brining is it takes forever!! Maybe if we had of planned when we were going to do it better it wouldn't have seemed like so long, but I am very open to using this recipe again, because it was so good!!
Oh my goodness, your girls are getting so big! Jeff looks great as do you! I love that you could even find a turkey that was 7 lbs. Have a wonderful Christmas.
I had to laugh about your comment on proving that you do do your daughter's hair. I have the same problem :). My poor little girl looks like an orphan wild child by the end of the day!
Cute cute pics of your girls and you two! Katie still looks like a wild child every night... I think it will change by the time she is 14 or 15... maybe? :) Keep up the good work!
Wow. Lydia is getting so big! Your girls are beautiful!
I'm going to have to try that recipe!
Thanks!
Post a Comment