Friday, August 29, 2008

Arizona Monsoons

When we moved here last August, we kept hearing about how it was Monsoon season, yet we didn't get ANY rain! I kept wondering if it only rained maybe one or two times during the summer and we just missed it because of when we moved here, and that I had been lucky enough to experience of few Monsoon storms when I came and visited as a kid. However, this summer has proved me wrong. I have been AMAZED at how much rain we have gotten. It is CRAZY!! Last night it poured pretty hard. There have actually been several times this summer that it poured pretty hard, but last night it just dumped buckets (many places got close to an inch of rain- a lot for us!), and the sky was this amazing light show. Seriously, the lightening was AWESOME! We fortunately weren't in any of the areas where they had power outages, fires, and flooding. It was amazing to see some of the footage they were showing on TV of all the areas that were having problems. Rain can be pretty scary if you aren't in a place where the rain can drain safely (you can read about our scary situation with rain from last summer here). I have a renewed appreciation for rain from living in the desert though. I love it when it rains down here!!

Jeff and I have definitely become storm watchers. While I was nursing Claire, Jeff went outside and started to take some video. When I came out to join the watch, he looked so funny that I went and got the camera and took some pictures of him taking video of the storm. Later, I started attempting to get some lightening shots, and then Jeff came over and took over (He is much better with the camera than I am, although I occasionally have gotten some pretty good shots too). Later, in talking about taking pictures, I asked if he deleted the ones that didn't turn out, and he said yes, and then moved on and said, "I should delete these ones too!!" They were the ones that I had taken of him. :) He won't let me post them :( but oh well, at least he didn't delete them!!

So, here are a couple of pictures from the storm last night. I took the first one, and the other two were taken by Jeff. Enjoy!


1 comment:

Jen plus 6 said...

Hey Thanks, I've been wanting to see an Arizona storm for months!!! ;^)

Love the lightning... isn't it great! (As long as it's not hitting you or your house...)