Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Little Too Close for Comfort

A week and a half ago I almost had a head-on collision with a Chevy Suburban while riding my bike to school. It's a good thing we said family prayer that morning. I was coming around the corner of a building a little too tight and a little too fast. Thankfully, we both saw each other with enough time that we could brake and avoid a collision. I braked so hard, though, that my bike stopped before I did and I went over my handlebars. I landed on my feet, but, unable to keep my balance, I fell on my back and my backpack helped break the fall. I was also wearing a helmet. I stood up and the lady driving the Suburban got out to see if I was OK. I was, nothing is broken, not even a scrape. I could tell I had a bruise on my leg where it went over the handle bar, but that was it. There was actually a policeman nearby because there was a car accident at the intersection near where this happened. He must have seen what happened because he came over to see if I was alright, too. He said there were some paramedics there if I wanted to get checked out. I declined the offer, and just continued on my way to school, a little shaken and a lot more cautious. I rode my bike to the light rail station because it was already too hot to ride all the way to school. When I got in the train, I pulled out my phone and noticed it had taken the near-collision a lot worse than I did. See for yourself:

My phone took the hit for me. Oh well. A worthy sacrifice if you ask me. Everything seems to work just fine on it, just the screen is broken, and I can deal with that. This actually gives me more reason to go ahead with an upgrade I wanted to do anyway.

This really was a close call. The Suburban and I were just a few short feet of meeting each other. This is only the second time I've really come close to being hit by a car on my bike, the first time was on my mission. It was a lot scarier this time, though, because now I have Michelle, Lydia, and Claire. So, count your many blessings and remember to pray!

5 comments:

Liz said...

HOLY CRAP! That's really scary!

Alyson Ryan said...

Wow, we are so glad you said your family prayers too! That is amazing. We are glad you are alright.


Guess what! We found your blog. How fun!

Sue Boyd said...

OK . . . I think my heart has started again! My thanks too for this HUGE tender mercy to our family.

Jordan and Jodi said...

Glad you are safe! I'm going to make my husband read this...he rides to BYU from university mall so I worry about him a LOT...especially if he is a little late. He calls when he leaves campus and then he has me time him but anything past 2 minutes off schedule I start to crab the car keys! Again---glad you are safe!

Julie said...

Sorry about your phone - but you're right, a worthy sacrifice. Yea for family prayer!