What an emotional day it was, for everyone. I still can't believe that it has been 7 years. I was starting my freshman year of college, and I still remember hearing what was going on, and not realizing the gravity of the situation for quite some time. My professor walked into class and said that the WTC center had been hit by airplanes. I had assumed that they were little private airplanes, and that someone had just made an error and crashed. It was later, that I realized they were commercial airplanes and that things were more dire than I realized.
That day has changed my life, all of our lives. I sometimes wonder if the feelings we have for September 11th are the feelings of our grandparents for December 7th, and what happened in 1941. It is not exactly the same, but they are similar situations. My dad has served in Iraq, and just barely made it back in time for my brother's high school graduation, and my wedding. It was hard, and emotional to have him gone, but I am glad that he was able to serve our country.
I hope that I am able to serve our country well, and that the things that I do will help me remember the blessings of our freedom. I am grateful that we live in a free country, and are able to worship freely, speak freely, and have the many other freedoms that are given to us! I am proud to be an American, even if I don't always agree with everything that other Americans say and do, it is a reminder of our freedoms!!
2 comments:
It's interesting that you posted your recollection because mine was very similar. I was also at BYU and heard the news in my 8 a.m. class but had no idea what was really going on! It wasn't until I went to work at the testing center (after studying in the library for a few hours after my 8 a.m. class) that I began to fully comprehend what had happened. And by then everyone was in shock! And I quickly joined in. I feel a little guilty even today that it didn't hit me very strong at first!
Wow, I feel so young...I was in 9th grade. My dad was watching the news, as usual and was telling us about what had just happened. I had no idea what he was talking about. I didn't even know what the WTC was. By the end of the day I had more of an understanding and more gratitude for my life and for the things I had.
Oh, and by the way, thanks for the congrats! It'll be crazy! :)
Post a Comment